Railway Motive Power and Alternative Propulsion-2021
February 2, 2021 - February 4, 2021 | 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Courtyard by Marriott- Long Beach CA
Electronic Copy – Railway Motive Power and Alternative Propulsion Brochure 2021
Air quality and volatile diesel prices pose challenges to railways, particularly in urban areas. Traditional wayside power supply requires large capital investment and has visual impact. Emerging propulsion systems have the potential to address these concerns: (a) Rapidly developing battery technology with opportunity charging offers a suitable way forward for some railway services. (b) Hydrogen fuel cell systems offer zero-emission, longer range, flexibility, and lower capital cost than electrification. Knowledge and understanding of these technologies is essential to increase the effectiveness of capital investment, fleet modernization, and to avoid investment in stranded assets.
Classroom instruction by MSU Faculty and Industry subject matter experts, with a site visit included.
Who Should Attend:
- Managers considering new networks and extensions
- Railway consultants
- Government representatives and policy advisors responsible for air quality or public transportation
- Rail transportation managers for ports / port authorities
- Rail motive power mangers considering technology changes / fleet renewal or refurbishment
- Understand the impact of duty cycles on propulsion system design and motive power technology selection
- Know drive trains of various architectures, such as diesel, electric, hybrids, hydrogen fuel cells, their advantages and limitations
- Understand design and operational issues related to wayside power supply
- Understand the drivers for alternative propulsion systems and the impact on technology selection
- Assess suitability of motive power technologies to address environmental, fuel consumption, and capital cost concerns
- Know emerging research and applications of Hydrail
Andreas Hoffrichter– Manager/Management Consulting, Sustainable Mobility & Zero Emisson Technologies, DB Engineering & Consulting USA Inc. Expert in zero emissions propulsion systems for railway vehicles.
Industry Subject Matter Experts:
Mike Iden-Rail Consultant, Tier 5 Locomotive LLC, Former head of Union Pacific for locomotives. Assisted with exploration and introduction of alternative propulsion.
Carrie Schindler-Director Transit & Rail, San Bernardino County Transportation (SBCTA), ordered first Hydrogen powered train in the United States.
Paul Childs-Chief Operating Officer, M-1 Rail, Detroit, MI., Insight into the largest discontinuous electrification railway system in the country. Battery-powered streetcars charged with several designs.
Price & Registration:
$1995 – full tuition (includes materials, meals, certificate of completion)
Hotel room reservations can be made by calling 1-844-297-8289 ask for the MSU Rail block
$1795 – early bird, register before Jan. 15th, 2021.